1.04.2007

Photo A Day ~ 4 Jan

I wasn't sure I'd get a photo in for today... unless it was another lucky shot in my kitchen tonight! ;) Then, as my dad was grilling steaks on the back patio, he commented on the moon... and my little brain went "TADA! Photo A Day shot"! I grabbed my camera & switched to my 70-300mm lens... then stood out in my back yard... snapping pics of the moon & some with those skeletal trees in the moon's light... all the while my hands were freezing!!!

Oh, and I made two discoveries tonight.... 1) my new green tweed coat was definitely worth the price and 2) my tripod is broken. :( I will be going shopping tomorrow for a replacement. The base exchange doesn't have a tripod so I will have to go off the base. (yay!) ;)

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO ENLARGE...
YOU CAN SEE SOME PRETTY COOL AREAS OF THE MOON!
Canon dRebel XT, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens
ss 1/800, f. 7.1, ISO 400, Focal Length 300.0,
cropped in PSE4 to show closer detail, no other adjustments made to image!

And this one... well, I just thought it was kinda cool looking! :)
Canon dRebel XT, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens
ss 1/500, f. 8.0, ISO 400, Focal Length 300.0,
cropped a tiny bit to center image.


And a quick "THANK YOU!!" to DKDee & **Mogley** of 2Peas... This challenge has really got me thinking about my photography. I took 55 shots of the moon tonight with all sorts of manual settings... just kept playing with them to see what affect it had on the image. My family is pretty sure I've lost my mind!!! heehee ;)

29 comments:

Unknown said...

your family is just figuring that out? ;)

those are such great pictures! LOVE that first shot of the moon - Levi is impressed!

Dorothy said...

Then mission accomplished... as long as Levi is impressed, I feel pretty good about my end result! ;) Love that kiddo!

And yeah... they were pretty sure before... now it seems they have no doubt!

Heidi said...

Great photos! The first one is outstanding. The detail is perfect. Great job!

Amanda said...

Very Cool! Ilove the one with the moon behind the branches. GReat find/capture!!!

Anonymous said...

Love these .. I love #2 .. spooky!!

nomo wino daph said...

Oh wow......those are awesome and the 2nd is super cool!!

Unknown said...

Great pics...that second one is so cool!

Dorothy said...

I'm so glad to hear others like that second one too! My dad didn't like it because he couldn't see the moon clearly... I'll have to tell him y'all liked it too! ;)

jordan.krogman said...

Those are really awesome! Love the first especially!

Stephanie said...

Awesome shots of the moon! The first one is SO clear! Nice job!

CajunRose said...

Wonderful capture!!! Good job for trying new things with your camera! I'm getting there!

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos. I love the second one - very cool!!

Kathy said...

Cool stuff...2nd ones reminds me of a scary movie.

Tiff said...

Awesome. I wanted to photograph the moon last night too, but was distracted with the children.
Hasnt this challenge been great? Im looking at thing differently too!

Michelle said...

great pics. love that 2nd one!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous moon shots! Isn't it great when they come off the camera and no editing is needed. TFS! :)

Steph:)
#1 Buckeye Fan

Mar said...

Wowsers! Love your composition on the second one and the first one is pretty cool!!!

Donna said...

absolutely amazing!!! WOW. I cannot wait to see more of your photos. TFS

Monica said...

HOLY COW!! Love them both but #2 is freaking amazing! Your definately rocked with these!

Now I'm going to have to try shots like these.. I can never get good ones of the moon :-(

Unknown said...

Great pics of the moon. Especially the first one those are difficult shots to get . . . at least for me!

Marla said...

Such wonderful moon photos! I love that second one.

Andrea said...

Oooh! LOVE this pic! Look at all the detail! Adding a zoom lens to my wish list :)

Sara D. said...

That is so cool! Great shot!

justem said...

Okay this is too weird. My husband and I have been talking about moon photos...took some last night...saw some one someone else's potd...now on yours! Yours ROCK though. Mine stunk!

Dorothy said...

Keep trying Em! I think mine was totally the lens & the lighting. It was really dark in my yard so the camera loved the moon!

Julianna said...

some day I will be brave enough to try manual settings :) until then I will marvel at your shots!


and can I ask a dumb question? what's the reason for the watermarks and stuff? do people really take photos off our blogs?

Krissynae said...

What a gorgous moon. I love second one.

Dorothy said...

Julie, I put the watermark on all of my photos for two reasons... 1) yes... people really do that apparently because they discovered someone at 2peas doing that. And 2) I take pictures and post pictures of my hubby's military stuff. Don't want to risk those getting spread around without my consent.

Unknown said...

Very cool! I did that last night. Always think it's cool when the moon comes infront of the tree. TFS