1.19.2007

Photo A Day ~ 19 Jan

Well, there are two photos today... because I'm still playing with my 50mm lens! I took some photos to show my husband how I changed the living room furniture around, then I started working on "focus". Decided the Japanese lamp from last night was a good object to use for my practice so I positioned myself so there was a background object... and started shooting & adjusting!

I took about 35 shots, and got pretty consistent with focusing on the object I *wanted* to be in focus... some near objects, some far objects. I can't even begin to explain how much this challenge has encouraged me to learn more about my camera...

Image #1: Focus on near object, blur background...
Image #2: Focus on far object, blur foreground...

Both images shot with Canon dRebel XT, 50mm/1.8 lens,

ss 1/8, f 2.2, ISO 400, auto WB, SOOC (resized image for viewing)

21 comments:

Voltagain said...

It IS fun when it all starts to click (pardon the pun) Good for you!

lj0208 said...

excellent, keep practicing. this is sweet

Mom2Drew said...

I think it's wonderful that you're learning about your camera and what all the terminology means. You acheived what you were going for and that's the biggest step. I think now that you can get your focus where you want...think about where to focus on each object-what would be most pleasing to eye. That's what I will be working on this year, hopefully learning as I go along.

I enjoy reading/looking at your blog and the fact you live in japan...just an extra incentive for me to visit:)

nomo wino daph said...

wow....look at the dof!! love it!

jordan.krogman said...

Great DOF! I ordered this lens, too, and can't wait for it to finally get here!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Keep up the good work -- that's what this whole POTD is all about -- lots of practice! I like the focus on the building!

Lauren Hartman said...

I think you;ve got the focus thing down :) Good job!

Jenny said...

Nice effect, practicing the different focus areas. Your SS is a bit slow, therefore your Japanese lamp is a bit fuzzy. Might want to bump up the SS a bit or use a tripod to get a crisper shot. This lens is next on my list of must haves.

Dorothy said...

Thanks Jen. I would normally use a tripod, but I haven't been able to replace my broken one yet. I'll try it with a higher ss during the day tomorrow. Thanks!!

Amy Covey said...

Great contrast in DOF between the 2 photos. I just recently got that same lens and love playing with it!

Andrea said...

Looks like you are getting the hang of it! Isn't that the best feeling?! Great shots!

Hope said...

great focusing...

meliss said...

I'm working on learning focus for my 50mm as well. It isn't as easy as it looks. You are doing fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Great DOF! Wonderful practice shoots!
Cari

Krissynae said...

Neat focusing. I likes them both

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Great dof!

Amanda said...

Great job! Fun shots. I like the comparison that you made here.

Michelle said...

great play on dof. fun pics.

Lori said...

Good job! This is something I could certainly use some practice on.

Kathy said...

that's wonderful that you are making progress. I like what you are trying to do here, but I'm not at that level - yet.
Just wanted to let you know that I have the same clock and I love it but it is broken, but I can't take it down so it stays up at 9:30 because morning or night it is a good time.

Julianna said...

awesome job!!